Campus Promotions

Campus-Wide Marketing

Campus-wide marketing resources are helpful for reaching large audiences. If you’re looking to get started with marketing your organization or its programs, these resources are a good place to get started, but keep in mind that your materials can be viewed by the entire campus community.

Postering and Signage

Posters and signs may be displayed on campus, but they must adhere to the University’s official signage policy. Refer to the full document for more details, but generally, signs can be posted on bulletin boards in public spaces, and should not obstruct any permanent signage, doors, windows, or vents. You can’t use any type of duct tape, glue, or permanent adhesives that might damage paint or finishes.



Any registered student organization can reserve outdoor and indoor space on campus to set up a table. Tabling is a great opportunity to hand out promotional items, sign up members, and speak with students as they walk by. Spaces must be reserved online using the University’s event management system. University policies relating to tabling and outdoor events also provide guidelines and information.


Student Center Digital Signage

Digital signage requests for screens in the Gatton Student Center can be submitted via an online form. Requests should be university specific, in the direct interest of students and submitted by a registered student organization. You should submit the form at least 10 days in advance, and there’s no guarantee that all submissions will be displayed. Image files should be high resolution and size 1920 x 1080 pixels. If you’re using the UK logo, you must adhere to University brand standards. UK PR and Marketing has also published a guide for best practices in digital signage.


Graphic Design for Student Organizations and Activities

All registered student organizations can take advantage of free graphic design services once per academic year. If you are in need of a logo or graphic, this is a great resource. SOA encourages you to fill out the request form 3-4 weeks before your deadline to ensure that the graphic designers have enough time to complete the project. Due to the large number of requests, it usually takes the graphic designer 1-2 weeks to contact your organization. The service is only offered during the fall and spring semesters.


University Events Calendar

If your organization is hosting an event, you can fill out an online form from the Office of University Events to get your event placed on the University’s official event calendar. If you have questions about the event calendar, check out the office’s frequently asked questions sheet.


Digital Signage in Residence Halls

Digital signage in campus residence halls are maintained by hall directors in each building.


College and Academic-Specific Marketing

If your organization is related to a specific academic college or department, there are probably marketing resources available inside your academic unit. These resources can be very effective in reaching a more targeted audience than campus-wide marketing.

College and Departmental Listservs

Many academic departments across campus have listservs or email newsletters that go out to their students. If you are marketing an event or an opportunity that is relevant to students inside a specific department, you can contact that department to see if there is a newsletter or listserv that your message can be broadcast through. Most all departmental contacts are professors, so keep in mind that your requests should be limited and specific. If a member of your organization is a student in that department, it might be a good idea to have that person reach out to a professor or chair they know. Linked below are directory and departmental contact lists for each academic college at the University.


College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment

College of Arts and Sciences

Gatton College of Business and Economics

College of Communication and Information

College of Design

College of Education

College of Engineering

College of Fine Arts

College of Health Sciences

College of Nursing

College of Public Health

College of Social Work

Lewis Honors College


Gatton College Digital Signage

If your organization is related to the Gatton College of Business and Economics, you can submit requests through a Gatton College department’s administrative professional staff. Signage requests must adhere to Gatton’s digital signage policy and should be requested at least three business days before your event, but no more than two weeks prior. Questions can be directed to


Publicity and Media

Publicity is a way to send out messages that can be broadcast to large audiences through newspapers, websites, and social media. Media is effective for reaching large audiences, but the owner of whichever media form you use has the final say over how your content is spread. Learning how to write an effective press release can be a useful skill for interacting with media, both on campus and off. When submitting press releases, you should keep in mind your audience -- community media should generally only be used if your event is relevant beyond campus to the greater Lexington community.

UK Public Relations and Marketing


The University’s Office of Public Relations and Marketing should be your first contact if your organization is looking to get in contact with media. UKNow, the University’s official news wire, takes submissions of press releases and broadcasts messages to a large audience. Press releases can be submitted by registered student organizations to Gail Hairston at, and should be formatted in AP style with correct grammar.


Kentucky Kernel

The Kentucky Kernel is the student newspaper on campus, and you can submit press releases and news tips to them if you’re interested in having the Kernel cover your event or organization. The Kernel staff can be contacted by email at, and news tips can be submitted using their online form.



WRFL is the independent student radio station on campus. If you’re interested in collaborating with WRFL, the station can be reached by email at, and events can be added to WRFL’s community events calendar using their online form.


Social Media

Interacting online with departments and large organizations on campus that have strong social media presences can sometimes result in your organization’s content being shared through those channels. Below is a short list of departments and organizations that you might consider tagging in your posts or reaching out to ask about helping with promotion, but you should consider more, as social media is an easy and simple way to interact with large audiences.


Office of Student Organizations and Activities -- @UKGetInvolved

Student Government -- @uksga

Housing and Residence Life -- @UKHouseResLife

Student Activities Board -- @uksab

Fraternity and Sorority Life -- @UKYGreek

Kentucky Kernel -- @KYKernel

Off Campus Student Services -- @UKYOCSS

LGBTQ* Resources -- @ukylgbtq

Libraries -- @UKLibraries


Community Media

Area newspapers and news stations can choose to cover events by registered student organizations if your event has a reach that is beyond the immediate campus community. Press releases can be submitted to various publications using the contact information below.

Lexington Herald-Leader

Louisville Courier Journal

LEX 18 (NBC)